City authorizes emergency repairs for water plant

By George Slaughter, News Editor
Posted 6/30/22

The Katy City Council Monday authorized $251,254 for emergency water well rehabilitation at its water plant at 6850 Franz Road. The plant is near the Cane Island subdivision.

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

City authorizes emergency repairs for water plant


The Katy City Council Monday authorized $251,254 for emergency water well rehabilitation at its water plant at 6850 Franz Road. The plant is near the Cane Island subdivision.

The bid, from Weisinger, Inc., is for $174,034. The $251,254 total project cost includes previously authorized previously related work, pump rental, and engineering services.

“The critical path on this work is to authorize the contract to arrange for the fabrication of the replacement pump discharge head, which is expected to take 6 to 10 weeks to complete," David Kasper, senior project manager/principal of ARKK Engineers, wrote in a letter to the council urging Weisinger’s selection. “When the discharge head is received, and all equipment is ready for install, the city may choose to install immediately, or wait until water demand subsides. This will be a function of rainfall received and whether the current drought conditions continue. Weisinger has agreed to the rental charges at 60 days, even if the installation work needs to be postponed until early fall.”

ARKK Engineers is the city’s engineering firm. Kasper wrote that the other two bids were from CC Water Service, for $185,552, and Alsay Inc., for $296,244.

Despite Monday’s rain, the city remains under stage 2 drought conditions, which calls for voluntary conservation of water. Mayor Dusty Thiele, speaking before the vote, said the city’s public works department has been working to hold off stage 3, which would require mandatory measures, for weeks.

“These emergency repairs are part of the reason,” Thiele said, adding that the city has been working to bring a new well at Young Ranch online. Thiele said that new well went online Monday.

City residents are asked to continue using less water. This includes reducing watering and/or irrigation to three times per week and refrain from establishing new landscaping until the current drought has passed. It also includes reducing water use for power washing of buildings, sidewalks, walkways, driveways, parking lots, tennis courts or other hard surfaces.

The city has halted landscape irrigation use at all city facilities. It has also halted nonessential government water use including street cleaning, vehicle washing and operation of ornamental fountains. The city said it has halted the establishment of new landscaping and has limited hydrant flushing, except for water system repairs.

Other city leaders posted social media appeals for city residents to conserve water despite the heat. Thiele praised city residents for their efforts.

“We made it through the weekend, but we have a long way to go,” Thiele said. “Please continue to conserve water and follow the plan.”

At press time, the National Weather Service said Katy can expect continued hot weather for the next few days. Thursday afternoon calls for a 40% chance of thunderstorms, with Friday’s forecast calls for a 60% chance of thunderstorms. The weather service said there was a 20% chance of rain Saturday and Sunday, and mostly sunny conditions Monday.

City of Katy, Katy City Council, water plant